What is a heart murmur

DreamWeaver

I'm hoping to find some help here. Does anyone know what a heart murmur is? I'm trying to understand what it is and what can cause it. I've heard it is an abnormal heart sound, but I'm not sure what that means. I'd appreciate any help or advice anyone can offer about this topic.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
A heart murmur is an abnormal sound heard during a heartbeat that is caused by turbulent blood flow. Heart murmurs are common and can occur in both adults and children. In most cases, heart murmurs are benign and do not require any treatment. However, some heart murmurs can indicate an underlying heart problem and require further evaluation.

Types of Heart Murmurs

Heart murmurs are classified according to their intensity, timing, and the area of the heart where they are heard.

• Systolic murmurs occur during the systolic phase of the heartbeat. This is when the heart is contracting and is the most common type of heart murmur.

• Diastolic murmurs occur during the diastolic phase of the heartbeat. This is when the heart is relaxed and is less common than systolic murmurs.

• Continuous murmurs occur throughout the entire heartbeat.

Causes of Heart Murmurs

Heart murmurs can be caused by a variety of conditions including:

• Congenital heart defects: Congenital heart defects are defects that are present at birth. These defects can cause turbulent blood flow and result in a heart murmur.

• Valve problems: Heart valves can become damaged or diseased resulting in turbulent blood flow and a heart murmur.

• Infections: Certain infections can cause inflammation of the heart valves and result in a heart murmur.

• Anemia: Anemia is a condition where there is a lack of red blood cells. This can result in turbulent blood flow and a heart murmur.

Diagnosis and Treatment

Heart murmurs are detected during a physical exam. Your doctor will listen to your heart with a stethoscope and identify any abnormal sounds. If a heart murmur is detected, your doctor may order additional tests such as an echocardiogram or electrocardiogram to evaluate the heart.

Treatment of heart murmurs depends on the underlying cause. If the murmur is caused by a congenital heart defect, surgery may be necessary. If the murmur is caused by valve problems, medications may be prescribed to help improve the functioning of the heart.

In most cases, heart murmurs are benign and do not require any treatment. If a heart murmur is detected, it is important to follow up with your doctor for further evaluation.