What is a differential diagnosis of AIHA

DreamWeaver

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some help understanding the differential diagnosis of AIHA. Can anyone provide me with some information on the topic, or point me in the right direction? I've heard it can be difficult to diagnose, so I'm looking for any advice or resources that might help me better understand the process. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
AIHA stands for Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia, and a differential diagnosis is a process of elimination to determine the cause of a disease or condition. A differential diagnosis for AIHA includes:

Drug-Induced AIHA

Drug-induced AIHA is an AIHA caused by a medication or other chemical. The medications most commonly associated with this form of AIHA are antibiotics, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), and anticonvulsants.

Primary AIHA

Primary AIHA is an AIHA that is not caused by a medication or a chemical, but by an underlying medical condition. Common causes of primary AIHA include infections, autoimmune disorders, and certain types of cancers.

Secondary AIHA

Secondary AIHA is an AIHA that is caused by an underlying medical condition. This form of AIHA is often caused by a viral infection, such as hepatitis C or Epstein-Barr virus. Other possible causes of secondary AIHA include rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, and lymphoma.

Transfusion-related AIHA

Transfusion-related AIHA is an AIHA caused by a blood transfusion. This form of AIHA is often caused by the transfusion of incompatible blood, which can trigger an immune response in the recipient.

Warm AIHA

Warm AIHA is an AIHA caused by an immune response to red blood cells. This form of AIHA is often caused by a variety of factors, including infections, medications, and autoimmune disorders.