What is a Coombs test for a transfusion reaction

DigitalExplorer

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and I am hoping to get some help understanding what a Coombs test for a transfusion reaction is. I recently had a blood transfusion and my doctor mentioned something about a Coombs test. I have done some research online but I am still confused about what it is and what purpose it serves.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
A Coombs test (also known as an indirect antiglobulin test or IAT) is a laboratory test used to detect antibodies or complement proteins attached to the surface of red blood cells (RBCs). It is mainly used to diagnose and monitor autoimmune hemolytic anemia, but it is also used to detect a patient's antibodies prior to a blood transfusion.

What is a Transfusion Reaction?

A transfusion reaction is an adverse reaction to a blood transfusion that can range from mild to severe. Mild reactions may include fever, chills, or dyspnea, while more severe reactions can involve anaphylactic shock or hemolysis.

What is a Coombs Test?

A Coombs test is a laboratory test used to detect antibodies or complement proteins attached to the surface of red blood cells (RBCs). It is mainly used to diagnose and monitor autoimmune hemolytic anemia, but it is also used to detect a patient's antibodies prior to a blood transfusion. This test, also known as an indirect antiglobulin test (IAT), is performed by adding anti-human globulin antibodies to a sample of the patient's blood. If the patient has antibodies that are reacting with the red blood cells, the antibodies will bind to the RBCs, resulting in a positive Coombs test. A positive Coombs test indicates that a patient has antibodies that are reacting with the RBCs, which can cause a transfusion reaction.