What is a Benign Fibroepithelial Lesion

measqu

"Hello! I'm looking for information on benign fibroepithelial lesions and was hoping I could get some help from other forum users. I'm trying to understand what a benign fibroepithelial lesion is, what types of lesions are included in this classification, and how they are treated. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Benign fibroepithelial lesions, also known as “fibroepithelial polyps”, are non-cancerous growths that can develop in the breast, usually in women. These lesions are usually small, round or oval-shaped, and can range in size from a few millimeters to several centimeters. They are usually firm and can be felt under the skin.

Causes of Benign Fibroepithelial Lesions

The exact cause of benign fibroepithelial lesions is not known. They may be caused by hormonal changes, such as those associated with menopause or pregnancy. They may also be due to irritation of the breast tissue or to genetics.

Diagnosis of Benign Fibroepithelial Lesions

Benign fibroepithelial lesions are usually diagnosed during a physical examination of the breast. The doctor may feel a lump or a thickening in the breast. The doctor may order an ultrasound or a mammogram to confirm the presence of the lesion.

Treatment of Benign Fibroepithelial Lesions

Most benign fibroepithelial lesions do not require treatment. If the lesion is causing discomfort or is growing, the doctor may recommend that it be surgically removed. The lesion will usually be examined under a microscope to confirm that it is benign.