What interferes with iron supplements

DreamWeaver

I am looking for help understanding what interferes with iron supplements. I have recently been prescribed iron supplements to help with my anemia, but I am concerned that something else I am taking might interfere with them. I am on several medications for other health issues and I want to make sure that I am taking the right dosages of everything. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about what might interfere with iron supplements so I can be sure I am taking them correctly? Any advice would be appreciated.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Calcium and other Minerals

Calcium and other minerals can interfere with the absorption of iron from iron supplements. Calcium binds to iron, reducing its absorption. Taking iron and calcium at the same time may reduce the effectiveness of iron supplementation. It is best to take iron supplements two hours before or four hours after taking calcium or other minerals.

Antacids and Other Medications

Antacids, such as Tums or Rolaids, can also interfere with iron absorption. Other medications, such as diabetes medications, seizure medications, and antibiotics, can also affect iron absorption. It is best to take iron supplements two hours before or four hours after taking these medications.

Dietary Supplements

Certain dietary supplements, such as vitamin E and zinc, can also interfere with iron absorption. It is best to take iron supplements two hours before or four hours after taking these supplements.

Foods

Foods that contain phytates, such as beans, cereals, and nuts, may reduce the absorption of iron from iron supplements. It is best to take iron supplements two hours before or four hours after eating these foods.

Conclusion

Iron supplements can be interfered with by calcium and other minerals, antacids and other medications, dietary supplements, and certain foods. To maximize the effectiveness of iron supplementation, it is best to take iron supplements two hours before or four hours after taking calcium or other minerals, antacids or other medications, dietary supplements, and certain foods.