What increases the risk of anemia

DigitalExplorer

I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some help. I recently learned that I'm at risk for anemia and I'm trying to find out what increases this risk. Can anyone here help me understand what might be making me more susceptible to anemia? I'd really appreciate any advice or information that anyone can share.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Subtitle: What are the risk factors of anemia?

Anemia is a condition in which a person has a reduced number of red blood cells or haemoglobin in their body. It can cause fatigue, shortness of breath, and weakness. Some people are more at risk of developing anemia than others, depending on their lifestyle, medical history, and other factors. Here are some of the risk factors for anemia.

Age: Anemia is more common in older adults, especially those over 65 years old.

Gender: Anemia is more common in women due to their monthly menstrual cycle.

Inherited factors: Some people are born with genetic mutations that can increase their risk of developing anemia.

Diet: People who don't get enough iron, folate, and vitamin B12 in their diet are more likely to develop anemia.

Chronic illness: People with chronic conditions such as kidney disease, cancer, or HIV/AIDS are more likely to develop anemia.

Medications: Certain medications, such as those used to treat arthritis or cancer, can increase a person's risk of developing anemia.

Pregnancy: Pregnant women are more likely to develop anemia due to the increased demand for iron and other nutrients.

Blood loss: People who experience significant blood loss due to surgery, accidents, or certain medical conditions are at increased risk of developing anemia.

Alcoholism: Alcohol consumption can interfere with the body's ability to absorb vitamins, leading to anemia.

Knowing the risk factors for anemia can help you identify if you or a loved one is at risk of developing the condition. It is important to talk to your doctor if you think you may be at risk of anemia. Your doctor can do a simple blood test to check for anemia and other conditions.