What if Coombs test is positive

measqu

I'm really worried because I just got the results of a Coombs test and it came back positive. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can you tell me what it means and what I should do next? I'd really appreciate any advice or information anyone has to share.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
When a Coombs test comes back positive, it means that the patient has antibodies in their blood that are attacking their own red blood cells. This is known as autoimmunity. In order to determine the cause of this autoimmunity, further tests may be done. These tests can help to pinpoint what is causing the antibodies to form, such as an underlying infection or a medication.

Treatment Options for Positive Coombs Test

Once the cause of the positive Coombs test is determined, treatment options can be discussed. Depending on the underlying cause, treatments may include antibiotics, antivirals, steroids, or other medications. Additionally, lifestyle changes or dietary adjustments may be recommended. It is important to follow the doctor's instructions carefully in order to prevent further damage to the red blood cells.

Preventing Autoimmunity

In some cases, it may be possible to prevent autoimmunity from occurring in the first place. Eating a balanced diet, getting regular exercise, and managing stress can all help to reduce the risk of developing autoimmunity. Additionally, getting regular health checkups can help to identify any underlying medical conditions that may lead to autoimmunity.

Living With Autoimmunity

For some people, autoimmunity is a chronic problem that must be managed on an ongoing basis. It is important to follow the doctor's instructions and to take any necessary medications as prescribed. Additionally, making lifestyle changes such as eating a healthy diet and exercising regularly can help to reduce the symptoms of autoimmunity.