What if amylase is high and lipase is normal

DreamWeaver

I'm a bit worried about my recent lab results. My amylase is high and my lipase is normal. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm trying to understand what this means and what I can do to address it. Could someone please provide some insight? I would really appreciate any help or advice.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Amylase and lipase are two enzymes that are produced in the pancreas and help the body break down carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. High levels of amylase or lipase can indicate a problem with the pancreas, such as pancreatitis or a blockage in the pancreatic duct.

Symptoms of Abnormal Amylase and Lipase Levels

If the levels of either amylase or lipase are abnormal, it can cause a variety of symptoms, including abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and loss of appetite. If the levels of both amylase and lipase are abnormal, the symptoms may be more severe.

Causes of High Amylase and Normal Lipase Levels

High amylase and normal lipase levels can be caused by a variety of conditions, including pancreatitis, gallstones, liver disease, and kidney disease. It can also be caused by certain medications, such as certain antibiotics, or by excessive alcohol consumption.

Treatment for High Amylase and Normal Lipase Levels

Treatment for high amylase and normal lipase levels will depend on the underlying cause. In some cases, treatment may involve lifestyle changes, such as reducing alcohol intake and avoiding certain medications. In other cases, treatment may involve surgery or medications to treat the underlying condition.