What happens when a cyst forms on a tooth

measqu

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I've noticed a cyst forming on my tooth and I'm really worried about it. Does anyone have any experience with this or know what might happen? Are there any treatments or interventions I should consider? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
What is a Tooth Cyst?

A tooth cyst is a sac filled with fluid or semi-solid material that forms in the jawbone around a tooth or an area of infection. It can be caused by either bacteria or trauma. Tooth cysts are often painless but they can cause damage to nearby teeth, gums, and bone if left untreated.

What Causes a Tooth Cyst?

There are several possible causes of a tooth cyst. These include:

• Bacterial infection – Bacteria can enter the jawbone around a tooth and cause an infection. This infection can lead to an abscess or cyst.

• Trauma – Trauma to the jawbone can lead to a cyst or abscess. This could be from a fall, a car accident, or a sports injury.

Symptoms of a Tooth Cyst

The symptoms of a tooth cyst can vary depending on the size and location of the cyst. Some common symptoms include:

• Pain – The cyst may cause a throbbing or dull ache in the affected area.

• Swelling – The cyst may cause the jawbone to swell and become tender.

• Tenderness – The area around the cyst may be tender to the touch.

• Bad breath – Bad breath can be caused by the infection associated with the cyst.

Diagnosis and Treatment of a Tooth Cyst

If you suspect that you have a tooth cyst, it's important to visit your dentist as soon as possible. Your dentist will be able to perform a physical examination and may take X-rays to confirm the diagnosis.

Treatment of a tooth cyst depends on the size and location of the cyst. Smaller cysts may be able to be treated with antibiotics and drainage. Larger cysts may require more extensive treatment, such as root canal therapy or even surgery.