What happens to your body when your pancreas is inflamed

CuriousCat

I'm looking for some help and advice about what happens to your body when your pancreas is inflamed. I'm not sure if I'm experiencing any symptoms, and I would like to know what to look out for. I know that inflammation of the pancreas is serious, and I'm worried that I might be at risk. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can anyone tell me what the symptoms are and how I should go about getting help? Any advice and support would be greatly appreciated.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Pancreatitis is a condition in which the pancreas becomes inflamed. It can be acute, meaning it comes on suddenly, or chronic, meaning it is long-term. Acute pancreatitis can be life-threatening, and chronic pancreatitis can cause serious complications. In this article, we discuss the effects of pancreatitis on the body.

Symptoms of Pancreatitis

Pancreatitis can cause a variety of symptoms, including abdominal pain that may be severe, nausea and vomiting, fever, and rapid heart rate. Other symptoms may include weight loss, oily stools, yellowing of the eyes and skin (jaundice), and an enlarged abdomen.

Complications of Pancreatitis

The inflammation associated with pancreatitis can cause the organ to stop functioning. This can lead to a number of serious complications, such as diabetes, malnutrition, weight loss, and kidney failure. Pancreatitis can also cause scarring of the pancreas and an increased risk of pancreatic cancer.

Diagnosis and Treatment

Pancreatitis is diagnosed with blood tests, imaging tests, such as an ultrasound or CT scan, and/or a biopsy. Treatment depends on the type and severity of the condition. Acute pancreatitis is usually treated with rest, fluids, and pain medications. Chronic pancreatitis may require surgery to remove part of the pancreas or to repair damaged ducts.

Pancreatitis can be a serious condition with potentially life-threatening complications. It is important to seek medical help if you experience any of the symptoms of pancreatitis.