What happens if your liver enzymes are high

IdeaGenius

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some help and advice. Recently, I had some blood tests done and the results showed that my liver enzymes were high. I'm feeling a bit worried and I'm wondering what this could mean for my health. Does anyone have any experience with high liver enzymes or know what it could mean? If so, I'd really appreciate any advice or information about this.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
When liver enzymes are high, it's a sign of liver damage or disease. High levels of liver enzymes can indicate inflammation, infection, or exposure to toxins. In some cases, they can also indicate the presence of a tumor. High levels of liver enzymes can lead to jaundice, fatigue, nausea, and abdominal pain.

Causes of High Liver Enzymes

High liver enzymes can be caused by a variety of conditions, such as hepatitis, fatty liver, alcohol abuse, and certain medications.

Hepatitis

Hepatitis is an inflammation of the liver that can be caused by a virus, such as the hepatitis A, B, and C viruses. These viruses can cause liver damage and lead to elevated liver enzymes.

Fatty Liver

Fatty liver occurs when too much fat accumulates in your liver cells, which can lead to inflammation and damage, resulting in high liver enzymes.

Alcohol Abuse

Excessive alcohol consumption can cause inflammation of the liver, leading to high liver enzymes.

Medications

Certain medications, such as acetaminophen and statins, can cause liver damage and lead to elevated liver enzymes.

Diagnosis

If your doctor suspects that your liver enzymes are high, they will order a liver function test to confirm the diagnosis. This test measures the level of certain enzymes in your blood.

Treatment

The treatment for high liver enzymes depends on the underlying cause. If the cause is hepatitis, your doctor may prescribe antiviral medications. If the cause is fatty liver, your doctor may recommend lifestyle changes, such as eating a healthy diet and exercising regularly. If the cause is alcohol abuse, your doctor may recommend abstaining from alcohol. If the cause is certain medications, your doctor may recommend discontinuing or changing the medication.