What happens if you take too many antihistamines

strawberry

Help! I'm wondering what would happen if I take too many antihistamines. Has anyone had any experience with this, or know what the potential consequences might be? I'm looking for advice and information from others who have gone through a similar situation.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Taking too many antihistamines can be dangerous and can lead to serious health risks. It is important to take antihistamines only as directed by a doctor or pharmacist. Taking too many antihistamines can cause symptoms such as drowsiness, dizziness, confusion, rapid heartbeat, blurred vision, dry mouth, and difficulty urinating. In some cases, taking too many antihistamines can be fatal.

Risk Factors

There are several risk factors associated with taking too many antihistamines. People who have existing medical conditions such as high blood pressure, epilepsy, or heart disease may be more likely to experience adverse effects from taking too many antihistamines. In addition, people who take other medications or supplements may be at increased risk, as antihistamines can interact with other drugs. Elderly people and children may also be more susceptible to the effects of taking too many antihistamines.

Prevention

To prevent taking too many antihistamines, it is important to follow directions on the package or as instructed by a doctor or pharmacist. It is also important to keep track of how much antihistamine is taken each day. Finally, people should avoid taking multiple antihistamines at the same time, as this can increase the risk of adverse effects.

Treatment

If someone takes too many antihistamines, it is important to seek medical help immediately. The doctor may recommend that the person stop taking the medication and may give medications to help counteract the effects of the antihistamines. In some cases, hospitalization may be necessary.