What happens if you don't finish azithromycin

strawberry

I'm hoping someone can help me out - I'm worried about what will happen if I don't finish my azithromycin prescription. I know that it's important to finish the entire course of antibiotics, but I'm a few days from the end of my prescription and I'm wondering what will happen if I don't finish it.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Azithromycin is an antibiotic medication that is used to treat a variety of bacterial infections. It is important to take all of the medication prescribed to you, even if you start to feel better. If you do not complete the full course of antibiotic treatment, the infection may not be completely treated and the bacteria may become resistant to the medication.

Risks of Not Finishing Azithromycin

When a person does not complete the full course of antibiotic treatment, the bacteria may become resistant to the medication, resulting in the infection not being treated completely. If the infection is not completely treated, it can cause the infection to persist or worsen. This can lead to serious health complications.

In addition, if the bacteria become resistant to azithromycin, it may also become resistant to other antibiotics in the same class, making it difficult to treat the infection.

Preventing Resistance

To prevent the development of antibiotic resistance, it is important to take all of the medication prescribed to you, even if you start to feel better. If you are prescribed a course of antibiotics, make sure to take all of the medication until it is gone.

When to Contact a Doctor

If you think that you may not have taken all of your medication, it is important to talk to your doctor. Your doctor can advise you on what to do next. They may recommend that you start a new course of antibiotics or they may recommend a different course of treatment.