What happens if you do CPR on someone who is still breathing

measqu

Hi everyone,
I'm a bit confused and I'm hoping some of you can help me out. I'm wondering what would happen if someone performed CPR on someone who is still breathing? Is it dangerous or could it be harmful to the person? Are there any special precautions that need to be taken? Has anyone had any experience with this or heard of any cases like this? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
CPR stands for cardiopulmonary resuscitation and is a lifesaving technique used to restore blood circulation and breathing in a person who is not breathing or whose heart has stopped beating. It is important to remember that CPR should only be performed on someone who is not breathing or whose heart has stopped beating. Performing CPR on someone who is still breathing can be dangerous and should be avoided.

Potential Harm to Person Receiving CPR

Performing CPR on a person who is still breathing can cause serious harm, including broken ribs and damaged internal organs. Additionally, the person receiving CPR may become distressed or confused because of the forceful compression of the chest. Furthermore, it can interfere with the person's natural breathing, causing them to feel short of breath or have difficulty breathing.

When to Perform CPR

CPR should only be performed when a person is not breathing or their heart has stopped beating. If a person is still breathing, there is no need to perform CPR. Instead, it is important to monitor their breathing and check for signs of distress. If the person is unresponsive, unconscious, or appears to be in distress, call 911 immediately.

Signs of Distress

There are several signs of distress that may indicate the need for CPR. These include:

• Breathing that is shallow, irregular, or stops

• Sweating

• Skin that is pale or blue

• Loss of consciousness

• Seizures

If any of these signs are present, it is important to call 911 immediately and follow their instructions precisely.

In summary, CPR should only be performed on someone who is not breathing or whose heart has stopped beating. Performing CPR on someone who is still breathing can be dangerous and should be avoided. If a person is unresponsive, unconscious, or appears to be in distress, call 911 immediately and follow their instructions precisely.