What happens if the jaw cyst is not removed

CuriousCat

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some help with a question about jaw cysts. I recently found out I have a jaw cyst, but I'm not sure if I should have it removed. What I'm wondering is, what are the potential risks and consequences of not getting the cyst removed? Has anyone gone through a similar experience, and what were the results? Any advice would be appreciated.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Jaw Cysts: Overview

A jaw cyst, also known as a radicular cyst, is a fluid-filled sac that develops around the root of a tooth. It is caused by bacteria that have become trapped in the jawbone due to injury or gum disease. Jaw cysts are relatively common and can be found in patients of all ages. If left untreated, these cysts can cause damage to the surrounding teeth, bone, and other tissues.

Treatment Options for Jaw Cysts

The primary treatment option for jaw cysts is surgical removal. This involves making an incision in the gum and removing the cyst. Depending on the size and location of the cyst, a bone graft may be needed to fill in any gaps left behind. In some cases, antibiotics may be prescribed to reduce the chances of infection.

Risks of Not Removing Jaw Cysts

If a jaw cyst is not removed, it can lead to a number of serious complications. These include damage to the surrounding teeth, bone, and other tissues; infection; and even facial deformity. Additionally, the cyst can continue to grow, causing further damage to the jaw. Therefore, it is important to seek medical treatment if you suspect you have a jaw cyst.