What happens if antihistamines don't work

CuriousCat

I'm hoping to get some help from other users on this forum. I suffer from allergies and I'm having a really hard time with them right now. I've been using antihistamines for a while but they don't seem to be working. Does anyone have any experience with this, and can they offer any advice? What happens if antihistamines don't work? Are there any other treatments or medications that I can try? I'm willing to try anything that might help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
When antihistamines don't work, it can be a frustrating experience for those looking for relief from allergies, hay fever, and other allergic reactions. If you have tried antihistamines and they have not been effective, there are several other options available that may be more successful in providing relief.

Non-Prescription Alternatives

Decongestants are a common over-the-counter remedy for allergies and hay fever. They work by constricting the blood vessels in the nose, reducing inflammation and congestion. Decongestants come in pill form, nasal sprays, or liquid drops.

Leukotriene inhibitors are another over-the-counter option for treating allergies. These drugs block the action of a type of chemical called leukotrienes, which are released when the body is exposed to an allergen. These drugs can be taken as pills, liquids, or nasal sprays.

Nasal corticosteroids are a type of steroid medication used to reduce inflammation and mucus production in the nose. Corticosteroids can be taken as a pill, nasal spray, or injection.

Prescription Alternatives

If non-prescription remedies are not successful, your doctor may prescribe a more powerful medication. These medications include:

Antihistamine/Decongestant Combinations are available in pill form and nasal sprays. These drugs combine the effects of an antihistamine and a decongestant to provide relief from allergies and congestion.

Immunotherapy is a long-term treatment that helps the body build up an immunity to allergens. Immunotherapy involves being exposed to gradually increasing amounts of an allergen, usually in the form of an injection or drops placed under the tongue.

Monoclonal Antibodies are a new type of medication that are used to target and block the action of a specific type of immune cell that is responsible for triggering allergy symptoms. These drugs are relatively new and are only available by prescription.

While antihistamines may not be effective for everyone, there are other options available that may provide relief from allergies and hay fever. If you have tried antihistamines and they have not been successful, talk to your doctor about other treatments that may be more effective.