What happens if allergic rhinitis is untreated

strawberry

"Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and am looking for some help. I recently found out I have allergic rhinitis, and I'm wondering what will happen if I leave it untreated.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Allergic rhinitis, also known as hay fever, is an allergic reaction to airborne particles such as pollen, dust, and animal dander. Untreated allergic rhinitis can cause a range of symptoms, from mild to severe. These symptoms can range from sneezing, congestion, runny nose, itchy eyes, and sore throat to difficulty breathing and fatigue. Left untreated, the condition can worsen and lead to a number of medical complications.

Risk Factors

Those with a family history of allergies are more likely to develop allergic rhinitis. People living in areas with high levels of pollution or in areas with higher concentrations of certain allergens, such as pollen, are also at higher risk of developing allergic rhinitis.

Complications

Untreated allergic rhinitis can lead to a number of complications, including sinusitis, chronic fatigue, and sleep disturbances. These complications can lead to a decrease in quality of life and can also have a significant impact on everyday activities such as work and school. In some cases, untreated allergic rhinitis can lead to asthma, a potentially life-threatening condition.

Treatment

The best way to prevent the complications of untreated allergic rhinitis is to seek treatment. Treatment for allergic rhinitis typically includes medications such as antihistamines and nasal sprays, as well as lifestyle changes such as avoiding allergens and using air purifiers. Allergy shots may also be recommended for more severe cases.