What happens if allergic reaction is not treated

DreamWeaver

I'm really concerned about my allergic reaction and I'm wondering what will happen if I don't treat it. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd really appreciate some advice. I've been having trouble breathing, my skin has been itching and I'm feeling really exhausted. I'm worried that if I don't get it treated, it could get worse. Can anyone share their experience with this condition and what treatments they used? Any advice or information would be really helpful.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
A severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) can be life-threatening if not treated quickly. Anaphylaxis can cause a person’s blood pressure to drop suddenly and the airways to narrow, blocking breathing. Without treatment, anaphylaxis can lead to unconsciousness and death within a few minutes.

Signs and Symptoms of Anaphylaxis

Common signs and symptoms of anaphylaxis include:

• Swelling of the face, lips, tongue, and/or throat
• Hives or a rash over the body
• Wheezing or difficulty breathing
• Nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain
• Dizziness or fainting
• Anxiety or a sense of doom

Treatment for Anaphylaxis

If you think you or someone else is having anaphylaxis, call 911 immediately. Anaphylaxis requires emergency medical attention.

Emergency treatment typically includes an injection of epinephrine (adrenaline) to reduce symptoms and restore normal blood pressure and breathing. Other medications, such as antihistamines or corticosteroids, may be given to reduce swelling, hives, and itching. Oxygen may be given if breathing is difficult.

Long-term Management

If you have had a severe allergic reaction, you should be monitored in the hospital for 1–2 hours after treatment. You may also need to see an allergist for tests to identify the trigger that caused the reaction.

Your allergist may prescribe medications to help prevent anaphylaxis in the future, such as an epinephrine auto-injector. Depending on the results of your tests, your allergist may recommend allergy shots (immunotherapy). This is a series of injections that can help you become less sensitive to the allergen over time.