What happens if a dental cyst is not treated

DigitalExplorer

I'm looking for advice on what happens if a dental cyst is not treated. I recently found out I have a cyst in my mouth and I'm not sure what to do. Has anyone else had a similar experience? What were the consequences of not getting it treated? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
A dental cyst is a growth in the jawbone that is caused by an infection. If it is not treated, the cyst can become larger and cause damage to nearby teeth, jawbone, and other structures. It can also cause pain and swelling in the area. In some cases, the cyst can spread to other parts of the body, such as the neck or chest.

Diagnosis

A dental cyst can be detected through a physical examination, X-rays, and other imaging tests. During the physical exam, the dentist will feel for any lumps or bumps in the jawbone. X-rays can help to identify the size and shape of the cyst. Other imaging tests, such as a CT scan or MRI, may be necessary to confirm the diagnosis.

Treatment

The treatment for a dental cyst will depend on its size and location. If the cyst is small and not causing any symptoms, it may not need to be treated. In some cases, the dentist may recommend draining the cyst or removing it surgically. In more severe cases, the cyst may need to be treated with medication or radiation therapy.

Risks of Not Treating a Dental Cyst

If a dental cyst is not treated, it can lead to serious complications. The cyst may become larger and cause damage to the surrounding teeth, jawbone, and other structures. It can also spread to other parts of the body, such as the neck or chest. In some cases, the cyst can become infected, leading to pain and swelling. If left untreated, the cyst can even become cancerous.

It is important to seek treatment for a dental cyst as soon as possible. Early diagnosis and treatment can help to prevent any serious complications and ensure a full recovery.