What happens due to deficiency of vitamin E

DigitalExplorer

Hi everyone! I'm looking for help understanding what happens due to a deficiency of vitamin E. I read that a deficiency can cause nerve and muscle damage, but I'm wondering if there are any other symptoms or conditions associated with a vitamin E deficiency.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Vitamin E is an essential vitamin that helps to protect the body from damage caused by free radicals. When the body does not get enough vitamin E, it can lead to a variety of health problems. In this article, we will discuss what happens due to vitamin E deficiency, its symptoms, and treatments.

Symptoms of Vitamin E Deficiency

Vitamin E deficiency can cause a variety of symptoms, ranging from mild to severe. Some of the most common symptoms include:

• Fatigue

• Weakness
• Poor coordination
• Muscle weakness
• Loss of muscle mass
• Vision problems
• Dry, scaly skin
• Numbness and tingling in the hands and feet
• Unsteady gait
• Difficulty swallowing

Causes of Vitamin E Deficiency

Vitamin E deficiency can be caused by a number of factors, including:

• Low dietary intake of vitamin E
• Malabsorption disorders, such as celiac disease or cystic fibrosis
• Liver diseases, such as cirrhosis or hepatitis
• Pancreatic insufficiency
• Certain medications, such as anticonvulsants or steroids
• An inherited disorder that affects fat absorption

Treatment of Vitamin E Deficiency

Treatment of vitamin E deficiency depends on the underlying cause. If the deficiency is due to a dietary deficiency, increasing dietary intake of foods rich in vitamin E can help. These include nuts, seeds, and green leafy vegetables. Supplements may also be recommended.

For those with malabsorption disorders, treatment may involve medications to help the body absorb fat. In some cases, vitamin E injections may be recommended.

In conclusion, vitamin E deficiency can lead to a variety of health problems. It is important to get enough vitamin E in the diet or through supplementation. If you think you may be deficient in vitamin E, it is important to see your doctor for diagnosis and treatment.