What foods worsen anemia

DreamWeaver

"Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping that someone can help me out. I'm looking for information about what foods worsen anemia. I've been told that some foods can make anemia worse, but I'm not sure which ones. Could someone please give me some advice on what to avoid or what to eat more of? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
What is Anemia?

Anemia is a condition in which the body does not have enough healthy red blood cells. Red blood cells carry oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body, so anemia can cause fatigue, breathlessness, and other symptoms.

What Foods Worsen Anemia?

Certain foods can worsen anemia, as they can interfere with the body's ability to absorb iron, which is necessary for healthy red blood cells. Foods that contain high amounts of phytates, oxalates, and calcium can interfere with iron absorption. Examples of foods that should be avoided include bran, nuts, seeds, spinach, rhubarb, and chocolate. Caffeine can also interfere with iron absorption, so it should be limited. Additionally, some medications, such as antacids, can interfere with iron absorption as well.

Which Foods Help Anemia?

Certain foods can help to prevent and treat anemia. Foods that are rich in iron, such as red meat, poultry, fish, beans, and fortified cereals, can help the body build healthy red blood cells. Vitamin C can also help the body absorb iron, so foods rich in vitamin C, such as oranges, tomatoes, and broccoli, should also be included in the diet.