What foods should you avoid if you have rhinitis

strawberry

"Hi everyone, I'm new here and in need of some help. I recently found out I have rhinitis and my doctor told me to avoid certain foods.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Foods to Avoid With Rhinitis

Rhinitis is an inflammation of the nasal passages that can cause symptoms such as a runny nose, sneezing, itching and congestion. While there is no specific diet for rhinitis, some foods may worsen symptoms. If you have rhinitis, it’s best to avoid certain foods and drinks that can irritate your nasal passages.

Allergens

If you have an allergy-related type of rhinitis, such as allergic rhinitis or food allergy-related rhinitis, it’s best to avoid foods you’re allergic to. Common allergens include peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, dairy, eggs, wheat, soy and sesame.

Spicy Foods

Spicy foods, such as those with hot peppers, chili powder, horseradish, cayenne pepper and garlic, can worsen inflammation in the nasal passages and cause further irritation. If you have rhinitis, it’s best to avoid these foods or limit your intake.

Alcoholic Beverages

Alcoholic beverages can exacerbate rhinitis symptoms. Drinking alcohol can irritate your nasal passages and cause inflammation. It’s best to avoid alcohol or limit your intake if you have rhinitis.

Caffeinated Beverages

Caffeinated beverages, such as coffee, tea and soda, can make nasal congestion worse. Caffeine can also cause dehydration, which can worsen rhinitis symptoms. It’s best to limit your intake of caffeinated beverages if you have rhinitis.

Processed Foods

Processed foods, such as chips, crackers, cookies, pastries, deli meats and canned soups, are often high in sodium. High-sodium foods can worsen nasal congestion and inflammation. It’s best to limit your intake of processed foods if you have rhinitis.