What factors can lead to severe anemia

DigitalExplorer

I'm hoping someone can help me understand what factors can lead to severe anemia. I've recently been diagnosed with anemia and I'm trying to find out what might have caused it. I've heard that factors such as a poor diet, an illness, and blood loss can contribute to anemia, but I'm wondering if there are any other possible causes. Can anyone here offer any insight on what might have caused my severe anemia? Any advice would be much appreciated.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Subtitle: Causes

Severe anemia can be caused by a variety of factors, such as blood loss, a lack of red blood cell production, or a deficiency of certain nutrients in the diet.

Blood Loss: Blood loss is a common cause of severe anemia. This can occur due to a variety of reasons, such as surgery, childbirth, trauma, or heavy menstrual bleeding.

Red Blood Cell Production: Red blood cells are produced in the bone marrow, and a decrease in production can lead to severe anemia. This can be caused by certain medications, chronic diseases, or a lack of certain vitamins and minerals in the diet.

Nutrient Deficiency: A lack of certain vitamins and minerals can also lead to severe anemia. The most common nutrient deficiencies associated with anemia are iron, vitamin B12, and folate. These nutrients are necessary for red blood cell production and a lack of them can lead to a decrease in production.