What drugs cause immune hemolytic anemia

DreamWeaver

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for help with a medical concern that I have. Does anyone know what drugs can cause immune hemolytic anemia? I'm worried that I might have taken something that could be putting me at risk and I'd like to get more information. Is there anyone who might have some insight into this issue who could offer advice?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Immune Hemolytic Anemia and Common Drugs

Immune hemolytic anemia (IHA) is a type of anemia caused by the body's immune system destroying red blood cells (RBCs). This type of anemia can be caused by a variety of drugs, including antibiotics, anti-cancer medications, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), and certain anticonvulsant medications.

Antibiotics are a group of medications used to treat infections. Common antibiotics that can cause IHA include penicillin, cephalosporins, and sulfonamides.

Anti-cancer medications are used to treat cancer. Several chemotherapeutic agents used to treat cancer can cause IHA, including cyclophosphamide, ifosfamide, and gemcitabine.

Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are a group of medications used to reduce pain and inflammation. Common NSAIDs that can cause IHA include ibuprofen, naproxen, and aspirin.

Anticonvulsants are medications used to treat seizures. Common anticonvulsants that can cause IHA include phenytoin, carbamazepine, and valproic acid.