What drugs cause high ALT

IdeaGenius

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has any information about drugs that can cause high ALT levels. I recently had a blood test and my ALT levels were very high, so my doctor suggested that it might be due to a medication I'm taking. I'm not sure what drugs could be causing this, so I'm hoping someone here can help me out and point me in the right direction.

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Introduction

Alt (alanine aminotransferase) is an enzyme found in the liver. High levels of ALT can indicate a problem with the liver, such as inflammation or damage. Certain drugs are known to cause high ALT levels, which can be dangerous if left untreated. This article will discuss the different drugs that can cause high ALT levels, as well as the potential side effects and ways to avoid them.

Drugs That Cause High ALT

Antibiotics: Antibiotics are commonly prescribed to treat various infections. However, certain antibiotics, such as amoxicillin, ciprofloxacin, and levofloxacin, are known to cause high ALT levels. This can be especially dangerous in people with pre-existing liver conditions, as it can lead to further damage.

Painkillers: Painkillers, such as ibuprofen, naproxen, and acetaminophen, are commonly used to relieve pain and inflammation. However, these drugs can also cause high ALT levels, particularly when taken in high doses or for long periods of time.

Statins: Statins are commonly prescribed to lower cholesterol levels. However, they can also cause high ALT levels, especially when taken for extended periods of time.

Alcohol: Alcohol can cause high ALT levels, especially when consumed in large quantities. This can be especially dangerous for people with pre-existing liver conditions, as it can lead to further damage.

Side Effects of High ALT

High ALT levels can cause a variety of side effects, including fatigue, nausea, muscle pain, and jaundice (a yellowing of the skin and eyes). It can also lead to more serious complications, such as liver failure and cirrhosis.

Prevention

If you take any of the drugs mentioned above, it is important to take them as prescribed and to avoid taking them in high doses or for long periods of time. Additionally, it is important to limit your alcohol consumption and to practice safe sex, as both can increase your risk of developing liver problems.