What drugs can cause AIHA

strawberry

"Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping to get some help. I'm trying to understand what drugs can cause AIHA (autoimmune hemolytic anemia). I've heard that some medications can increase the risk, but I'm not sure which ones.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
AIHA stands for Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia, which is a condition in which a person’s immune system begins attacking their own red blood cells. This can lead to anemia, fatigue, and other symptoms. There are a number of drugs that can cause AIHA, and it is important to be aware of them in order to avoid this potentially serious condition.

Drugs That Can Cause AIHA

One of the most common drugs that can cause AIHA is penicillin. Penicillin is an antibiotic that is used to treat a variety of bacterial infections. It is important to be aware that penicillin can cause AIHA in some people. Other antibiotics, such as ciprofloxacin, also have the potential to cause AIHA.

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen and naproxen can also cause AIHA. These drugs are commonly used to treat pain and inflammation, but they can cause AIHA in some people. Acetaminophen is another drug that can cause AIHA.

Immunosuppressant drugs, such as azathioprine, cyclosporine, and mycophenolate mofetil, can also cause AIHA. These drugs are used to suppress the immune system in order to treat conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and psoriasis.

Other Risk Factors for AIHA

In addition to drugs, there are a number of other risk factors for AIHA. These include certain infections, such as mononucleosis and hepatitis, and certain blood disorders, such as Evans syndrome and paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria. Certain autoimmune disorders, such as lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, can also increase the risk of AIHA.

Treatment of AIHA

If you have been diagnosed with AIHA, it is important to follow your doctor’s instructions for treatment. Treatment may include the use of steroids, immunosuppressant drugs, or blood transfusions. It is also important to avoid any drugs or other risk factors that could trigger or worsen AIHA.