What does traumatic fibroma mean

DigitalExplorer

"Hello, I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping to get some help understanding what traumatic fibroma means. I'm sure there are a lot of knowledgeable people here who could help me out. Can anyone explain what a traumatic fibroma is and how it forms? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Traumatic fibroma is a type of benign (non-cancerous) growth that can form in the mouth due to a local injury or trauma. It is usually found on the inner surface of the cheeks, lips, or tongue. Traumatic fibromas are small, firm, white bumps that can range in size from a few millimeters to several centimeters. They may be single or multiple.

The cause of traumatic fibromas is unknown, but they often develop after a minor trauma such as a bite, a burn, or other irritation to the oral mucosa. These lesions may also form after surgery, radiation therapy, or the use of certain medications.

Traumatic fibromas are usually asymptomatic (have no symptoms). However, they can become painful if they become irritated or if they grow too large and press against other structures in the mouth.

Treatment for traumatic fibromas is usually not necessary unless the lesions are painful or interfere with eating or speaking. Surgical excision is the most common treatment for traumatic fibromas. Other treatments, such as cryotherapy (freezing with liquid nitrogen) and laser ablation, may also be used.