What does non-ossified fibroma mean

CuriousCat

I'm looking for help understanding what non-ossified fibroma means. I've heard it being mentioned in medical conversations and I'm curious to learn more. Can anyone provide a detailed explanation of what this condition is and what it might involve? Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Non-ossified fibroma is a benign (non-cancerous) tumor that develops in soft tissue near the bones. It is also known as an epulis, a term which is used to describe the growth of a tumor from a gum. This type of tumor is usually found in the jaws and can cause swelling, pain, and discomfort. The cause of non-ossified fibroma is usually unknown, however, it can be caused by trauma or infection.

Treatment for this type of tumor typically involves surgical removal of the tumor and any affected tissue. In some cases, radiation or chemotherapy may be used to treat the tumor. In very rare cases, the tumor may require chemotherapy to shrink it.

In general, non-ossified fibroma is considered a low risk tumor and is usually not life threatening. However, it is important to have regular check-ups with your doctor to ensure the tumor is not growing or causing any pain or discomfort.