What does non-odontogenic cyst mean

ByteBuddy

I'm hoping someone can help me out with an understanding of non-odontogenic cysts. I'm a bit confused about what they are and why they occur. Can anyone explain what a non-odontogenic cyst is and what causes it? I'd really appreciate any help from other forum users. Any insights or personal experiences would be great.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Non-odontogenic cysts are abnormal sacs filled with fluid that are found in the jawbones and other areas of the head and neck. These cysts are not caused by dental problems and typically are not related to teeth or other oral structures. They can be caused by trauma, tumor, infection, or a variety of other reasons. The most common type of non-odontogenic cyst is an odontogenic keratocyst (OKC). OKCs are usually found in the jawbones and can grow to large sizes. Other types of non-odontogenic cysts include salivary gland cysts, branchial cleft cysts, and dermoid cysts.

Treatment of non-odontogenic cysts typically involves surgical removal. Depending on the type and size of the cyst, the surgical procedure may involve cutting into the jawbone to remove the cyst or simply draining the fluid from the cyst. In some cases, the cyst may be filled with a material that helps to reduce the size of the cyst and prevent it from growing back. After the cyst is removed, the site may need to be monitored for recurrence.