What does metastatic calcification mean in medicine

ByteBuddy

"Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for some help with a medical question. What does metastatic calcification mean in medicine? I've been trying to research it, but I'm still a bit confused.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Metastatic calcification is a medical term used to describe the process of calcium deposits forming in various tissues and organs in the body. The deposits are caused by calcium ions entering the bloodstream from the bones and then being taken up by the tissues and organs. Metastatic calcification is different from dystrophic calcification, which is caused by an injury or infection.

What Causes Metastatic Calcification?

Metastatic calcification is usually caused by increased levels of calcium in the bloodstream. This can be caused by a number of factors, including long-term use of certain medications, vitamin D deficiency, kidney disease, or an overactive parathyroid gland.

What Are the Symptoms of Metastatic Calcification?

In most cases, metastatic calcification does not cause any symptoms. However, in some cases, the deposits can be large enough to cause symptoms such as joint pain, stiffness, and weakness. In rare cases, the calcification can cause an obstruction in the blood vessels, leading to an increased risk of heart attack or stroke.

How Is Metastatic Calcification Diagnosed?

Metastatic calcification is usually diagnosed through a physical examination and laboratory tests. X-rays and CT scans can also be used to detect calcium deposits in the body.

How Is Metastatic Calcification Treated?

The treatment for metastatic calcification depends on the underlying cause. If the calcification is caused by an overactive parathyroid gland, medications or surgery may be used to correct the problem. If the calcification is due to kidney disease, medications or dialysis may be necessary. If the calcification is caused by a vitamin D deficiency, supplements may be recommended. In some cases, the calcification may be treated with medications that help the body break down the calcium deposits.