What does malignant metastasis mean

CuriousCat

I'm not sure what malignant metastasis is and I'm hoping someone can help me out. Can anyone explain what it is and why it is important to know about? I'm looking for a thorough explanation, if possible. I'd also like to know if there are any ways to prevent it, or at least lessen the likelihood of it. Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Malignant metastasis is the spread of cancer cells from the original tumor to other parts of the body. It occurs when cancer cells break away from the original tumor and travel through the bloodstream or the lymphatic system to other organs. The cancer cells can then grow and form new tumors in the other organs. This process is known as metastatic cancer, and it is the most advanced stage of cancer.

Symptoms of Malignant Metastasis

The symptoms of malignant metastasis depend on the type of cancer and the organs affected. Common symptoms include fatigue, pain, weight loss, and difficulty breathing. Other symptoms may include fever, night sweats, and enlarged lymph nodes.

Diagnosis of Malignant Metastasis

A doctor will perform a physical exam and order imaging tests, such as X-rays, CT scans, and MRI scans, to look for evidence of metastasis. The doctor may also order blood tests, a biopsy, or a bone scan.

Treatment of Malignant Metastasis

Treatment for malignant metastasis may include surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, immunotherapy, or targeted therapies. The goal of treatment is to shrink the tumor and reduce symptoms. In some cases, a combination of treatments is used.