What does LDH indicate in blood

strawberry

Hello everyone,

I have a question and I hope you can help me out. What does LDH indicate in blood? I'm wondering because my doctor recently told me my LDH levels were high and I'm not sure what it means. I'm looking for more information and would really appreciate any insight or advice from those of you who have experience with this.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
LDH stands for lactate dehydrogenase, an enzyme found in most body tissues. It is found in the greatest concentrations in the heart, liver, lungs, muscles, and kidneys. LDH is released into the bloodstream when damage occurs to these organs or tissues.

What LDH Measures in the Blood

In the blood, LDH measures the level of damage to our organs and tissues. A high LDH level in the blood may indicate that there has been damage to one or more organs in the body, such as the heart, lungs, liver, or kidneys.

What a High LDH Level in the Blood Indicates

A high LDH level in the blood may indicate that there has been tissue damage due to a variety of conditions, including heart attack, stroke, viral infections, and liver or kidney disease. A high LDH level can also indicate anemia or cancer.

What a Low LDH Level in the Blood Indicates

A low LDH level in the blood is generally not considered to be a cause for concern. However, it can indicate that there is an underlying medical condition, such as anemia or a vitamin B12 or folate deficiency.

Conclusion

LDH is an enzyme found in most body tissues and it is released into the bloodstream when damage occurs to these organs or tissues. In the blood, LDH measures the level of damage to our organs and tissues. A high LDH level in the blood may indicate that there has been damage to one or more organs in the body, such as the heart, lungs, liver, or kidneys. A low LDH level in the blood is generally not considered to be a cause for concern, but it can indicate a vitamin deficiency or other medical condition.