What does it mean when your AST level is high

CuriousCat

I'm concerned about my recent results from a blood test, which showed that my AST (aspartate aminotransferase) level is high. Does anyone have experience with this, and can you explain what it means and what I should do about it? I'm very worried and would really appreciate any help from the forum.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
AST is an abbreviation for aspartate aminotransferase, which is an enzyme found in the liver, heart, pancreas, and other organs. AST levels in the blood can be measured to help diagnose liver damage or disease. High levels of AST in the blood can be an indication of a number of conditions, including viral infections, liver cirrhosis, and certain cancers.

What Causes High AST Levels?

High AST levels can be caused by a variety of factors, including viral infections, such as hepatitis, alcohol abuse, drug overdose, and liver cirrhosis. Other causes of high AST levels can include certain cancers, such as liver cancer, and trauma to the liver.

How Is High AST Diagnosed?

High AST levels can be diagnosed through a variety of tests, including a complete blood count, a liver function test, and a liver biopsy. In some cases, a CT scan or an MRI may be used to diagnose high AST levels.

Treatment of High AST Levels

The treatment of high AST levels depends on the underlying cause. Treatment can include lifestyle changes (such as reducing alcohol consumption and following a healthy diet); medications; and, in some cases, surgery. If the underlying cause is viral, antiviral medications may be prescribed. If the underlying cause is cancer, chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy may be used.