What does it mean when your AST ALT ratio is high

DigitalExplorer

I'm hoping somebody can help me out with understanding what it means when your AST ALT ratio is high. I recently had a medical test done and my doctor told me that the AST ALT ratio was high. I'm not sure what this means and I'm a bit worried as I don't know what it implies for my health. Does anyone know what a high AST ALT ratio could signify? Any advice or information would be much appreciated.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
AST ALT Ratio:

The AST ALT ratio is a measure of the relative levels of two important enzymes in the blood, aspartate aminotransferase (AST) and alanine aminotransferase (ALT). These enzymes are found in the liver and other organs, and their levels in the blood can indicate damage or disease in these organs. AST and ALT levels are usually measured together as a ratio.

When the AST ALT ratio is high, it means that the level of AST is higher than the level of ALT. This can be a sign of liver damage, as AST is released into the bloodstream when the liver is damaged. High AST ALT ratios can also indicate other diseases, such as pancreatitis, myocardial infarction, and muscular dystrophy.

Causes of High AST ALT Ratio:

There are many possible causes of a high AST ALT ratio. The most common cause is damage to the liver, such as from alcohol use or viral hepatitis. Other causes of a high AST ALT ratio can include:

• Pancreatitis

• Myocardial infarction (heart attack)

• Muscular dystrophy

• Drug or toxin exposure

• Hypothyroidism

• Hemochromatosis

• Cirrhosis

• Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease

Treatment for High AST ALT Ratio:

The treatment for a high AST ALT ratio depends on the underlying cause. If the cause is liver damage, the treatment may involve stopping or reducing alcohol consumption and taking medications to reduce inflammation. If the cause is another condition, such as pancreatitis or myocardial infarction, the treatment may involve medications to control the condition.

In some cases, the AST ALT ratio may be high due to genetic factors and may not require treatment. It is important to talk to a doctor to determine the best treatment plan for high AST ALT ratios.