What does it mean if MCV MCH and MCHC are low

ByteBuddy

I'm a bit worried because I've recently had a blood test and the results showed that my MCV, MCH and MCHC are all low. I'm not sure what this means and I'm hoping someone can help me out.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
MCV, MCH, and MCHC are all components of a Complete Blood Count (CBC) test. The CBC test measures the amount of different components in your blood, such as red blood cells (RBCs), white blood cells (WBCs), and other substances. The MCV, MCH, and MCHC are markers of the size and hemoglobin content of RBCs.

Low MCV

MCV stands for mean corpuscular volume, which is a measure of the average size of red blood cells. A low MCV means that the red blood cells are smaller than normal. This can be caused by a number of conditions, including vitamin B12 or folate deficiency, thalassemia, and myelodysplastic syndrome.

Low MCH

MCH stands for mean corpuscular hemoglobin, which is a measure of the average amount of hemoglobin in red blood cells. A low MCH means that the red blood cells contain less hemoglobin than normal. This can be caused by a number of conditions, including anemia, thalassemia, and iron deficiency.

Low MCHC

MCHC stands for mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration, which is a measure of the average concentration of hemoglobin in red blood cells. A low MCHC indicates that the red blood cells contain less hemoglobin than normal. This can be caused by a number of conditions, including anemia, thalassemia, and iron deficiency.

In summary, a low MCV, MCH, and MCHC indicate that the red blood cells are smaller than normal and contain less hemoglobin than normal. This can be caused by a number of conditions, including vitamin B12 or folate deficiency, iron deficiency, anemia, and thalassemia. It is important to talk to your doctor if you have any of these symptoms so they can diagnose the underlying cause and provide appropriate treatment.