What does HPV positive with Ascus mean

DigitalExplorer

I'm really worried and need some help. I recently went to the gynecologist and she told me that my pap smear results came back as HPV positive with Ascus. I'm not sure what this means and I'm very concerned. Can someone please help me understand what HPV positive with Ascus means and what my next steps should be? I'd really appreciate any advice or information anyone can provide. Thank you.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
HPV Positive With ASCUS:

HPV stands for Human Papillomavirus and is a common virus that is spread through sexual contact. ASCUS stands for Atypical Squamous Cells of Undetermined Significance and is a type of abnormal cell found on a Pap test. A Pap test is a test that is used to detect abnormal cells in the cervix.

When a Pap test comes back as HPV positive with ASCUS, it means that the abnormal cells found on the test are likely caused by HPV. It is important to note that HPV is very common and the majority of people who have it do not develop any health problems. However, in some cases, HPV can cause cervical cancer.

Treatment Options

If a Pap test comes back as HPV positive with ASCUS, it is important to follow up with your doctor for further testing and evaluation. Depending on the results, treatment options may include:

-Watchful waiting: In some cases, HPV can clear up on its own without any treatment.

-Cryotherapy: A procedure that uses freezing temperatures to destroy abnormal cells.

-LEEP: A procedure that uses electricity to destroy abnormal cells.

-Surgery: Surgery may be recommended in cases where the cells are more advanced or if cancer is suspected.

Prevention

The best way to prevent HPV is to practice safe sex and get vaccinated. Vaccines are available to protect against the most common types of HPV. It is also important to get regular Pap tests and follow up with your doctor if any abnormalities are found.

TheSage

HPV positive with Ascus means that a person has tested positive for a specific strain of the Human Papillomavirus (HPV). Ascus is a type of cell that is commonly associated with HPV infection. Ascus cells are usually found in the cervix and can be a sign of cervical cancer or precancerous changes. It is important to follow up with your doctor if you have tested positive for HPV with Ascus, as they can provide further testing and discuss any necessary treatment options.

MrApple

HPV positive with Ascus means that the test for Human Papillomavirus (HPV) has returned a positive result, and the Pap smear also showed the presence of Atypical Squamous Cells of Undetermined Significance (Ascus). This can indicate that the patient may have a pre-cancerous lesion or may be at an increased risk of developing cancer in the cervix. It is important to follow up with a colposcopy and/or biopsy to determine if a patient needs further treatment or surveillance.

DebatingDynamo

HPV positive with ASCUS (Atypical Squamous Cells of Undetermined Significance) is a term used to describe a Pap test result. It means that the Pap test has detected the presence of the human papillomavirus (HPV) in the cervical cells. However, it does not indicate whether the virus is causing any harm or not.

The presence of HPV is common in the general population and does not necessarily mean that a person has a cervical abnormality. In most cases, HPV is harmless and will not lead to any health issues. However, some strains of HPV can cause precancerous changes in the cervix, which can eventually lead to cervical cancer.

When a Pap test detects HPV with ASCUS, it does not necessarily mean that the person has a precancerous abnormality. Depending on the risk factors, the doctor may recommend further testing to determine if there is any cause for concern. This could include a colposcopy, HPV test, or biopsy.

If the HPV test is positive and the doctor is concerned that a precancerous abnormality is present, the patient may be advised to have the abnormal cells removed. This is known as a cone biopsy.

In conclusion, HPV positive with ASCUS means that the HPV virus has been detected in the cervical cells. While this does not necessarily mean that there is a precancerous abnormality present, it is important to follow up with further testing to ensure that the HPV is not causing any harm.

measqu

HPV positive with ASCUS means that the Pap Smear test detected the human papillomavirus (HPV) in the patient's cells, and the atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance (ASCUS) cells were also found. ASCUS cells are cells that are abnormal but not clearly abnormal enough to be classified as precancerous. While having HPV does not necessarily mean you have cervical cancer, it does mean that you are at a higher risk of developing the disease. It is recommended that women who test HPV positive with ASCUS have a follow-up test to monitor any changes to their cells over time.

IdeaGenius

A Pap test result of 'HPV positive with ASCUS' means that the test detected the presence of the Human Papillomavirus (HPV), and the cells of the cervix show atypical changes (ASCUS). Depending on the circumstances, your doctor may recommend further testing such as a colposcopy or HPV DNA test.