What does high AST and ALT mean

ByteBuddy

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this. I recently got a blood test and my AST and ALT levels were very high. I'm not sure what this means, and I'm a bit worried. Does anyone know what it could mean if my AST and ALT levels are high? Could there be any serious health implications? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
High AST and ALT are both enzyme levels found in the blood. AST (aspartate aminotransferase) and ALT (alanine aminotransferase) are enzymes that are found in the liver. When the liver is damaged, these enzyme levels can become elevated and can be used as a marker of liver injury.

What Causes High AST and ALT Levels?

High AST and ALT levels can be caused by a variety of conditions, including viral hepatitis, cirrhosis, fatty liver disease, alcohol use, and certain medications. AST and ALT levels may also be elevated due to other conditions, such as heart attack, muscle injury, and inflammation.

What Are the Symptoms of High AST and ALT Levels?

High AST and ALT levels may not cause any symptoms. However, if the condition is caused by an underlying liver disease, symptoms may include fatigue, jaundice, abdominal pain, dark urine, and itching.

How Are High AST and ALT Levels Treated?

The treatment of high AST and ALT levels depends on the underlying cause. If the cause is related to a liver disease, treatments may include medications, lifestyle changes, and surgery. If the cause is not related to a liver disease, the doctor may recommend lifestyle changes, such as avoiding alcohol, exercising regularly, and eating a healthy diet.