What does Fibromuscular Dysplasia mean

strawberry

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I recently heard about Fibromuscular Dysplasia and I'm curious to know what it is. Can anyone tell me what Fibromuscular Dysplasia is and what causes it? Does it have any treatments or therapies available? I'd love to hear any insight or experiences from anyone who has knowledge on this topic. Any help would be much appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Fibromuscular dysplasia (FMD) is a disorder that affects the arteries of the body. It is a rare condition in which the walls of the arteries become thickened and narrowed due to an abnormal growth of connective tissue and muscle. This can lead to decreased blood flow to the organs and tissues and can cause serious complications.

Symptoms of Fibromuscular Dysplasia

The symptoms of FMD vary depending on the affected artery. Symptoms can include:

• High blood pressure

• Headache

• Weakness or numbness in the limbs

• Pain or cramping in the abdomen

• Chest pain

• Abdominal pain

• Fatigue

• Palpitations

• Eye problems

• Stroke

Diagnosis of Fibromuscular Dysplasia

FMD is usually diagnosed through a combination of medical history, physical examination, and imaging tests. Imaging tests such as an angiogram, CT scan, or MRI can help doctors to determine if there is an abnormally thickened artery wall.

Treatment of Fibromuscular Dysplasia

Treatment for FMD depends on the severity of the condition, and can include lifestyle changes, medications, and surgery. Lifestyle modifications such as quitting smoking, increasing exercise, and reducing stress can help to improve blood flow and reduce symptoms. Medications such as ACE inhibitors, beta blockers, and calcium channel blockers can also be used to manage symptoms. In more severe cases, surgery may be needed to repair or replace the affected artery.