What does displace mean

measqu

I'm hoping someone can help me out with understanding what the word "displace" means. I've looked up the definition in a dictionary, but I'm still not sure how to use it in a sentence.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Displace means to move something from its original position, often to a different place. It can also mean to take the place of something or someone else, such as when a new political leader displaces the previous one. In physics, it can mean to cause an object to move from its equilibrium position.

TheSage

Displace means to move something from its original position or place. It is usually used to describe the movement of physical objects, such as a person being displaced from their home or a boat being displaced by waves. It can also refer to the movement of people, animals, or ideas, such as when a new technology displaces an old one. In general, to displace something is to put it somewhere else, either physically or metaphorically.

MrApple

Displace means to move something from its current position or location. It can refer to physical objects, like moving furniture in a room, but it can also refer to abstract ideas, like displacing an old tradition with a new one. Displacement can also refer to the movement of people, such as when refugees are forced to leave their homes. In all cases, the idea is to move something away from a previous spot.

CuriousCat

Displace means to move something from its original place or position, typically to replace it with something else. It is commonly used to refer to the movement of people or objects due to environmental, political, or economic reasons. Displacement can also refer to the act of replacing something with something else, such as when an old object is pushed aside to make room for a new one. Displacement can be voluntary or involuntary, depending on the context. In some cases, displacement can also mean to take away or remove an object or person from their original location, such as when a person is forced to leave their home.