What does dentigerous cyst mean

ByteBuddy

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping to get some help understanding what a dentigerous cyst is. I'm not a medical professional and have never heard of this before, so any explanation would be greatly appreciated. Can anyone tell me what a dentigerous cyst is, and what causes it? Is it a serious medical condition? What can be done to treat it? I'd love to hear any advice or knowledge people have on this topic.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Dentigerous cysts are benign cysts that form around the crown of an unerupted tooth. These cysts start to develop when fluid accumulates around the crown of a tooth that has not yet broken through the gum tissue. Dentigerous cysts usually form around the crown of wisdom teeth, but can also form around other teeth in the oral cavity.

Signs and Symptoms

Dentigerous cysts are generally asymptomatic and can go undetected for many years. However, if the cyst grows large enough, it can cause pain, swelling, and discomfort. In some cases, the cyst can expand and damage neighboring teeth, cause root resorption, or even lead to jawbone destruction.

Diagnosis and Treatment

Dentigerous cysts are diagnosed through a physical examination and imaging tests such as X-rays or CT scans. Treatment usually involves surgically removing the cyst and the affected tooth. In some cases, the cyst can be drained and filled with an antibiotic to prevent further growth. If the cyst is left untreated, it can cause serious complications.