What does calcific degeneration mean

DreamWeaver

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I've been researching some of the causes of shoulder pain and have come across the term 'calcific degeneration'. I've tried looking it up online, but I'm still not sure what it means. Can anyone explain to me what calcific degeneration is and how it might be causing my shoulder pain? I'd really appreciate any help.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Calcific degeneration is a medical condition in which calcium deposits build up in the soft tissues of the body, such as tendons, ligaments, and cartilage. It is most often seen in older adults, but can occur at any age. This condition is caused by an accumulation of calcium crystals in the soft tissues, which can lead to pain, swelling, and stiffness in the affected area. The exact cause of calcific degeneration is unknown, but it is believed to be related to lifestyle factors, such as lack of exercise and poor nutrition. Treatment for calcific degeneration depends on the severity of the condition and may include physical therapy, medications, and sometimes surgery.