What does a lesion on the tooth mean

DigitalExplorer

I am really worried about a lesion I recently discovered on one of my teeth. I have no idea what it means or what I should do. Has anyone else here had a lesion on their tooth? Can you please give me some advice? I am looking for information on what it could mean and how I can treat it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
A lesion on the tooth is an area of abnormal tissue that can occur on the surface of the tooth or inside the tooth. Lesions can be caused by a variety of factors, including trauma, infection, and decay. Depending on the type and severity of the lesion, it can cause pain, sensitivity, and discoloration of the tooth.

Types of Tooth Lesions

There are several types of lesions that can occur on the tooth.

Cavities: Cavities are one of the most common lesions on the tooth. Cavities occur when plaque and bacteria build up on the surface of the tooth and eat away at the enamel, leading to decay.

Trauma: Trauma to the tooth can cause lesions, such as fractures or cracks. Trauma can be caused by anything from a fall or sports injury to grinding your teeth.

Infections: Infections can occur on the surface of the tooth, in the root, or even in the jawbone. These infections can be caused by bacteria, fungi, or viruses.

Symptoms of Tooth Lesions

The symptoms of a lesion on the tooth will depend on the type and severity of the lesion. Common symptoms include:

Pain or sensitivity: A lesion on the tooth can cause pain or sensitivity when eating or drinking hot or cold foods and drinks.

Discoloration: A lesion on the tooth can cause a discoloration of the tooth, which can range from white spots to dark brown or black spots.

Bad breath: Tooth lesions can cause bad breath due to the bacteria that can build up in the lesion.

Diagnosis and Treatment of Tooth Lesions

If you have any of the symptoms listed above, it is important to see your dentist right away. Your dentist will be able to diagnose the lesion and recommend the best treatment plan. Treatment will depend on the type and severity of the lesion, but may include antibiotics, fillings, crowns, or root canals.

In some cases, a lesion on the tooth may require extraction. This is usually only necessary when the lesion is very severe and cannot be treated with other methods.

It is important to take care of your teeth and get regular dental check-ups in order to prevent lesions from occurring. Proper oral hygiene, including brushing and flossing, can help keep your teeth healthy and free from lesions.