What does a dental cyst do

strawberry

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some help understanding what a dental cyst is and what it does. I know that a dental cyst is a fluid-filled sac that can form in the jawbone, but I'm not sure why it forms and what it does. Are there any treatments available? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
A dental cyst is a fluid-filled sac of tissue that can occur near the roots of the teeth. It is often caused by an infected tooth, trauma or a congenital defect. Dental cysts can cause pain, inflammation and damage to the surrounding bone and tissue.

Types of Dental Cysts

There are several different types of dental cysts, including:

• Radicular cyst – This type of cyst is caused by an infected tooth root and is the most common type of dental cyst.

• Residual cyst – This type of cyst is caused by trauma or a congenital defect and can be found near the tooth root.

• Dentigerous cyst – This type of cyst is caused by a fluid-filled sac that forms around the crown of an unerupted tooth.

• Calcifying odontogenic cyst – This type of cyst is caused by a mineralized deposit in the jawbone.

Diagnosis and Treatment of Dental Cysts

A dental cyst may be diagnosed through an x-ray or CT scan. Treatment will depend on the type of cyst and may include surgical removal or drainage of the cyst. In some cases, antibiotics may be prescribed to prevent infection.