What disorders cause hemolytic anemia

CuriousCat

"Hi everyone! I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with a question I have about hemolytic anemia. What disorders cause hemolytic anemia? I'm interested in learning more about this condition and the potential causes. I've read some basic information about it, but I'm hoping to learn more from people who have more experience with the condition.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Disorders That Cause Hemolytic Anemia

Hemolytic anemia is anemia caused by the destruction of red blood cells (RBCs) at a faster rate than they can be replaced. It can be caused by a variety of different disorders, including:

Infections: Certain infectious agents, such as bacteria, viruses, and parasites, can directly damage RBCs or cause an immune response that leads to their destruction. Examples include malaria, Epstein-Barr virus, and Rocky Mountain spotted fever.

Autoimmune Disorders: Autoimmune disorders occur when the body’s immune system mistakenly attacks its own cells and tissues. This can lead to the destruction of RBCs, such as in the cases of autoimmune hemolytic anemia or Evans syndrome.

Hereditary Disorders: Certain inherited conditions, such as sickle cell anemia and thalassemia, can cause hemolytic anemia. These disorders are caused by mutations in genes that affect the structure or production of RBCs.

Drugs and Chemicals: Some medications, such as penicillin, and certain environmental chemicals, such as pesticides, can cause hemolytic anemia. In some cases, this is due to an allergic reaction or due to the medication or chemical directly damaging RBCs.

Cancers: Some cancers, such as lymphoma and leukemia, can cause hemolytic anemia. This is usually due to the cancer cells directly damaging RBCs or due to the cancer cells stimulating the production of antibodies that attack RBCs.