What diseases cause hemolytic anemia

IdeaGenius

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some help. I've recently been diagnosed with hemolytic anemia and I'm trying to gain a better understanding of what could have caused it. From what I've read, there are a number of different diseases that can cause hemolytic anemia. Could anyone share with me what those diseases are and any other information you may have about hemolytic anemia?

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the condition and any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Hemolytic anemia is a condition in which red blood cells are destroyed faster than they can be replaced. This causes a decrease in red blood cell count and leads to anemia. There are several diseases that can cause hemolytic anemia, including:

Autoimmune Conditions

Autoimmune conditions cause the body to attack its own cells, mistakenly believing they are foreign invaders. In the case of hemolytic anemia, the body attacks and destroys red blood cells. The most common autoimmune conditions that can cause hemolytic anemia are:

Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE): This autoimmune disorder can cause inflammation and damage to various organs in the body, including the red blood cells.

Rheumatoid arthritis: This condition causes inflammation of the joints and can also lead to inflammation of red blood cells.

Evans syndrome: This is a rare condition that causes autoimmune destruction of both red and white blood cells.

Infectious Diseases

Certain infectious diseases can also cause hemolytic anemia. These include:

Malaria: This is a parasitic infection that can cause red blood cells to be destroyed.

Babesiosis: This is a rare parasitic infection that can cause hemolytic anemia.

Bacterial infections: Certain types of bacteria, such as E. coli, can cause hemolytic anemia.

Genetic Disorders

Hemolytic anemia can also be caused by genetic disorders, such as:

Sickle cell anemia: This is a genetic disorder that causes abnormal red blood cells to be produced. These cells are more prone to breaking down and can lead to anemia.

Thalassemia: This is a genetic disorder that leads to a decrease in hemoglobin production. This can lead to anemia.

Hereditary spherocytosis: This is a genetic disorder that causes red blood cells to become misshapen and more fragile. This can lead to anemia.