What diseases can cause a positive ANA

CuriousCat

I'm looking for help understanding what diseases can cause a positive ANA. I'm currently having a lot of tests done at the doctor's office after feeling a bit unwell lately, and one of the tests came back with a positive ANA. I'm not sure what this means or what kind of diseases could be causing this result. Has anyone here had a positive ANA before, and if so, what kind of diseases were they diagnosed with afterwards? I would appreciate any advice or information anyone can give me about this.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
The antinuclear antibody (ANA) test is a blood test that can detect autoimmune disorders. A positive ANA test result indicates that the body's immune system is producing antibodies that attack its own tissue. A variety of diseases can cause a positive ANA test result, including:

Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE)
Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) is a chronic autoimmune disorder that affects multiple organs and systems in the body. It is characterized by inflammation, tissue damage, and production of autoantibodies, including antinuclear antibodies.

Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disorder that causes inflammation in the joints and other parts of the body. It is characterized by joint pain, stiffness, swelling, and destruction of cartilage and bone. A positive ANA test result is common in people with RA.

Sjogren's Syndrome
Sjogren's syndrome is an autoimmune disorder that affects the salivary and tear glands. It is characterized by dry eyes, dry mouth, fatigue, and joint pain. A positive ANA test result is common in people with Sjogren's syndrome.

Scleroderma
Scleroderma is an autoimmune disorder that causes hardening of the skin. It is characterized by hardening of the skin, joint pain, and Raynaud's phenomenon. A positive ANA test result is common in people with scleroderma.

Polymyositis/Dermatomyositis
Polymyositis and dermatomyositis are autoimmune disorders that affect the muscles. They are characterized by muscle weakness, fatigue, and muscle pain. A positive ANA test result is common in people with polymyositis/dermatomyositis.

Mixed Connective Tissue Disease
Mixed connective tissue disease is an autoimmune disorder that affects multiple organs and systems in the body. It is characterized by inflammation, tissue damage, and production of autoantibodies, including antinuclear antibodies. A positive ANA test result is common in people with mixed connective tissue disease.

Other Autoimmune Disorders
A positive ANA test result can also be caused by other autoimmune disorders, such as SAPHO syndrome, autoimmune hepatitis, primary biliary cirrhosis, and vasculitis.

In conclusion, a positive ANA test result can indicate a variety of autoimmune disorders, including systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis, Sjogren's syndrome, scleroderma, polymyositis/dermatomyositis, mixed connective tissue disease, and other autoimmune disorders.