What diseases are associated with hemolytic anemia

strawberry

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this. I recently heard about hemolytic anemia and wanted to know more about the diseases associated with it. Can anyone tell me what diseases are connected to hemolytic anemia? Are they similar to other anemia diseases or are they unique? Are treatments available for these diseases, and if so, what do they involve? I would be grateful for any help or advice.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Hemolytic anemia is a condition in which red blood cells (RBCs) are destroyed faster than the body can replace them. This leads to a decrease in the number of RBCs, resulting in anemia. Hemolytic anemia can be caused by a number of different diseases and conditions.

Autoimmune Diseases

Autoimmune diseases occur when the body's immune system mistakenly attacks healthy cells and tissues. One of the most common autoimmune diseases associated with hemolytic anemia is autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA). In this condition, the body's immune system produces antibodies that attack its own red blood cells. Other autoimmune diseases associated with hemolytic anemia include systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), rheumatoid arthritis, and some lymphomas.

Infections

Certain infections can also cause hemolytic anemia. These include bacterial infections, such as salmonella and tuberculosis, as well as viral infections, such as hepatitis and HIV. Other infectious agents, such as parasites, may also cause hemolytic anemia.

Medications

Certain medications, such as antibiotics, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), and anticonvulsants, can cause hemolytic anemia. In addition, some chemotherapy drugs, such as hydroxyurea and methotrexate, can cause hemolytic anemia.

Genetic Disorders

Hemolytic anemia can also be caused by a number of inherited conditions, such as sickle cell anemia, thalassemia, and glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency.

Other Causes

Hemolytic anemia can also be caused by other conditions, such as mechanical heart valves, cancer, and certain inherited enzyme deficiencies. In some cases, the cause of the hemolytic anemia may be unknown.