What diagnostic test for acute hemolytic reaction

DreamWeaver

I'm looking for help with a medical question. I'm trying to find out what diagnostic test is used for an acute hemolytic reaction. I know it's an autoimmune response, but I'm not sure what type of test is used to determine if someone is experiencing one. Can anyone provide me with information on what kind of test is used to diagnose an acute hemolytic reaction? Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Diagnostic Tests for Acute Hemolytic Reaction

Acute hemolytic reactions are a serious medical condition that can occur when the body's immune system attacks and destroys its own red blood cells. In order to diagnose this condition, a number of different tests may be necessary.

Complete Blood Count (CBC)

A complete blood count (CBC) is often the first test used to diagnose an acute hemolytic reaction. This test measures the number of red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets in the blood. An abnormally low red blood cell count is one indication of an acute hemolytic reaction.

Blood Smear

A blood smear is a microscopic examination of a sample of the patient's blood. The test looks for the presence of red blood cells that are abnormally shaped, as well as for any evidence of destruction of the cells.

Hemoglobin Electrophoresis

Hemoglobin electrophoresis is a test used to measure the amount of hemoglobin in the patient's blood. This is used to determine if there is a decrease in hemoglobin due to a hemolytic reaction.

Reticulocyte Count

A reticulocyte count is used to measure the number of immature red blood cells in the patient's blood. This test helps to determine if the bone marrow is producing new red blood cells to replace those that have been destroyed.

Direct Antiglobulin Test (DAT)

The direct antiglobulin test (DAT) is a test that looks for antibodies that may be attacking the red blood cells. If the test is positive, it indicates that the patient has an autoimmune disorder that is causing the hemolytic reaction.

Antinuclear Antibody Test (ANA)

The antinuclear antibody test (ANA) is used to detect autoantibodies that may be attacking the patient's own cells. This test is used to diagnose autoimmune disorders that may be causing the hemolytic reaction.