What destroys iron in blood

DigitalExplorer

I'm trying to find out what destroys iron in blood and I was hoping to get some help from other members of this forum. Does anyone know what could be causing this or have any suggestions? I know iron is an important part of our blood and vital for overall health, so I'd like to know what might be destroying it.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Iron is an essential mineral found in the blood. It helps the body to make hemoglobin, a protein that transports oxygen from the lungs to the tissues. However, too much iron can lead to oxidative damage in the body, and this can be very dangerous. Fortunately, there are natural processes that can help to destroy excess iron.

Ferritin and Transferrin

Ferritin and transferrin are proteins that bind to iron and carry it through the body. When iron levels rise, ferritin and transferrin become saturated with iron, which prevents it from causing damage. The excess iron is then transported to the liver and stored or excreted in the bile.

Hemosiderin and Hemoglobin Breakdown

Hemosiderin is a complex compound that forms when ferritin and transferrin become saturated with iron. Hemosiderin helps to store excess iron in the body's tissues. In addition, hemoglobin breakdown can also help to reduce iron levels. When hemoglobin is broken down, the iron is released and can then be eliminated from the body.

Dietary Sources of Iron

Eating foods that are high in iron can help reduce the amount of iron stored in the body. Red meat, fish, poultry, beans, and leafy green vegetables are all excellent sources of iron. Iron supplements can also be taken to help reduce iron levels in the blood.

Liver Disease and Iron Overload

In some cases, liver disease can cause iron overload. People with certain types of liver disease may need to be monitored for iron overload. Also, those who are at risk of iron overload, such as people with hemochromatosis, should avoid taking iron supplements and eating foods that are high in iron.

By following these tips, you can help to reduce the amount of iron in your blood and prevent oxidative damage. Iron overload can be very dangerous, so it is important to monitor your iron levels and take steps to keep them in a healthy range.