What conditions are Coombs test positive

ByteBuddy

Hi everyone! I'm looking for some help and advice about the Coombs test. Specifically, I'm wondering what conditions can cause a positive result on this test? I'm aware that it's used to detect autoimmune hemolytic anemia, but I'm not sure if there are other conditions that can cause a positive result.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Coombs Test:
The Coombs test is a laboratory test used to detect the presence of antibodies that are attached to the surface of red blood cells (RBCs). It can be used for a variety of purposes, including detecting autoimmune hemolytic anemia or identifying an Rh incompatibility between a fetus and its mother.

Positive Coombs Test Results

A positive Coombs test result means that antibodies have been found attached to the surface of the RBCs. This may be due to a variety of conditions, including:

Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia: Autoimmune hemolytic anemia is an immune disorder in which the body produces antibodies that attack its own red blood cells. This can lead to anemia and other complications.

Rh Incompatibility: Rh incompatibility is a condition in which the mother has a different blood type than the fetus. This can cause the mother's body to produce antibodies that attack the fetus's red blood cells.

Transfusion Reaction: A transfusion reaction occurs when a person receives incompatible blood during a transfusion. This can cause the body to produce antibodies that attack the donor's red blood cells.

Drug-Induced Hemolytic Anemia: Certain medications, such as penicillin, can cause the body to produce antibodies that attack its own red blood cells.

Infection: Certain infections, such as toxoplasmosis or cytomegalovirus, can cause the body to produce antibodies that attack its own red blood cells.